Kindermusik for the Young Child is for ages 4 1/2 - 7. It is the developmental leap to the school age child. Musically, it is the culmination of all that has come before.
In addition to movement, instrumental play, singing, and creating, the Young Child student begins to learn musical notation (notes and rhythms). Melodies are learned on the glockenspiel, which is a wonderful pre-keyboard instrument. Children who continue through all 4 semesters of the Young Child program are also given the opportunity to learn the dulcimer and the recorder.
As a piano teacher of over 30 years, I don't take students who have not been in the Young Child classes. WHY? Because the foundation given in Young Child makes the transition to the piano so easy. Children without that foundation don't have the same 'musical sense' or rhythm as those in Kindermusik.
A parent of three Kindermusik grads told Ms. Wendy that their children are musical because they came to Kindermusik. Another mom of a local high school pianist and vocalist told me she knows his foundation and love of music came from Kindermusik.
Here are some guidepost as you consider choosing Young Child.
- exhibits self-confidence and reliability in a classroom or group situation
- is interested in fine motor control activities - reproduces shapes, letters, enjoys puzzles, games and drawing.
- follows directions and can participate in an activity with groups doing different things simultaneously
- has good abstract thinking skills - can answer questions such as "how do you think a composer can make music sound like birds?
- can sing whole songs, and is developing a good sense of pitch
- is eager to learn, and is developing self-motivation
- can work independently for short periods toward a set goal
- is ready to begin understanding concepts of practice, proper handling of an instrument, and playing a tune as opposed to exploring ways of creating sound on an instrument.
Early elementary age children have many choices for extra curricular activities, and parents have to decide how to spend their money and their time. Kindermusik for the Young Child promotes learning and a lifetime skill, and Kindermusik...a good beginning never ends!