Thanks for stopping by A Family Place. I enjoy working with families, and sharing the power of music with them. Kindermusik provides this outlet for me. This blog will allow me to share thoughts and ideas that can help families in their journey.

Monday, September 16, 2013

A few thoughts about singing

In the beginning was the voice....
Lullabies are sung throughout the world no matter the country or the language, mothers sing to their babies. Even if you don't like your voice, your children need to hear you sing. Every voice is unique.  Some voices are unmistakable: Willie Nelson, Cat Stevens, The Beatles, Dolly Parton. Your child loves to hear the particular sound you utter as you sing.

The lullaby is the spell whereby the mother attempts to transform herself back from an ogre to a saint.

Songs are sung to make our work easier. The call and response songs in the field helped the workers endure the hard labor in the hot sun.

 Slaves are generally expected to sing as well as to work.

Today people use music when they work out or when they are on a long trip.  The distance swimmer who recently completed the 110 miles between Cuba and Key West, Diana Nyad, sang songs in her head while she swam. “There's a song list in my brain of 85 songs. Neil Young is my favorite.”

I love people and I love to sing, and that's what keeps me going.


Research shows that singing can boost the immune system. Read about the health benefits here

I don't sing because I'm happy; I'm happy because I sing.

The Bible references music and has an entire book of Psalms, or songs. Singing is for praising and worshiping our Creator.


Sing to the Lord a new song;
    sing to the Lord, all the earth.   
Psalm 96:1

SING LOUD 
IT'S A BIG WORLD!


No comments: