Thanks for stopping by A Family Place. I enjoy working with families, and sharing the power of music with them. Kindermusik provides this outlet for me. This blog will allow me to share thoughts and ideas that can help families in their journey.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Native American Dancers & Drums

In May my family & I traveled to Colorado and visited Mesa Verde National Park. Between 600 and 1300 A.D. many Native Americans lived on the Mesa (table), and they built into the cliffs and canyons. They were known as Cliff Dwellers.  It was fascinating to explore where these people once lived, worked, and played.

The weekend we were visiting was an arts/culture festival, so there were special events presented by various Indian Tribes.  We watched Puebloan dancers, complete with drums and singing.  The dancers wear big ankle bells, and use shakers as they dance, just like we discuss at Kindermusik!  The men also wear animal type coverings.  Here is a short video from that windy day of dancing.
Below is a look at the Cliff Dwellings

At the end of the demonstration, 
Alyssa and I joined the dancers 
for the Friendship Dance 
and then a photo op!
Bobby Bales of the Taos Pueblo tribe made these drums
from cottonwood trees, and elk hide.
 I bought a small drum for the Kindermusik classroom!


If you want to see more of  Colorado click here!

No comments: